Friday, October 14, 2011

Imperial Birds and a day with my boy

Whooping Crane

For the first time, I got to go on a field trip with my son and his classmates.  Been meaning to do this for the last 3 years...but it just never seemed to work out.  

This wasn't just a trip to the local dairy farm, or meat department of the local grocery store.  Nope.  Apparently since the mid 70's or so since I was in grade school, field trips are definitely cooler now than then were then.  (.....and insert age jokes here.....)

Today's trip was to the International Crane Foundation in Baraboo, Wisconsin. 

www.savingcranes.org

What an amazing place!  If you haven't been there, then you need to make a trip.  For those of you who live in Wisconsin...Go.  Don't wait.  Just Go. For those rare readers who aren't local...make a trip!  It is conveniently close to some excellent trout water too.  (Bonus!)

Not only did I get to spend a great day with my favorite son, we got to see some REALLY cool birds too!

I was saddened to learn that it is illegal to collect any of their feathers.  Which sucks because after a look at the Grey Crowned Crane (photo below), I was IMMEDIATELY trying to figure out how to get my mits on an handfull of that plumage.  I could have some serious fun downstairs in the lab trying to create that perfect fly.

Check out the headgear on this cat...

For a first field trip...it was definitely worth the wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment