The Question

I was asked recently "why do you flyfish?  Wouldn't be easier just to use a worm and a bobber?"

Believe it or not, I had prepared for this question.  I knew it was coming, and had even visualized in my mind how this scenario was going to play out.  I had all the essential aspects of an epic fishing trip cued up and ready to spit.

It was going to be a carefully crafted dissertation about the silence of the stream, the beauty of the fish, and of course, the elegance of a well formed cast.

You know the cast....it is straight out of the movie "A River Runs Through It".  Yep, that scene where Brad Pitt's character makes this flawless cast to a seam of water (on the opposite bank), gives the perfect mend to his line for a short, perfect drift...and WHAM!  He hooks up on Troutzilla.    Then he fights Troutzilla through rapids and boulders the size of minivans, only to land the fish.  With his hat on.

THAT was to be my answer.

Except...that in the space between the question being asked, and it traveling through my mind to my mouth, I knew I couldn't sell it.  I couldn't sell it for several reasons, not the least of which is that it would be a lie.  A HUGE, fat old lie, if for no other reason than because I don't live in Montana, and my hat never stays on.

At that very same moment, I sure as hell couldn't admit that most of my presence on the water is about as graceful as a water buffalo.  The truth is:  I could give a pretty solid clinic on ways to completely disrupt the natural order and foul the most promising fishy water.

What can I say?  It's a gift. 

But in that short distance between asked question, formulated answer and realization that I couldn't pull off that lie, and the fact that I definitely wasn't going to tell the the truth...I had (another) realization: I flyfish because I like it.  I don't worm fish because I don't like it.

(...and cue the "Worm lover's of America" Foundation...post your hate mail below!)

So, despite all of my preparation, a flash of honesty took over and the best I could come up with was "When was the last time you knew me to anything the easy way?"

Popular Posts