Saturday, March 3, 2012

Opening day report

Ahh.........I feel better.  Thanks.

A day spent fishing, the first day fishing since...oh...I don't know...September 30th?  And it was good.

The details?  30 degrees. Overcast.  Fresh layer of snow.  Clear water. Upper 3rd of the stream.  Rising fish.  The stream? Oh...come on now.  You don't REALLY think I am going to give that up, do you?  Let's just say it was classic driftless water.

I wouldn't presume to tell you that I caught them all.  Or even a lot.  But I DID catch a couple.  And a couple were enough for me.

They weren't big.  But what they lacked in size, they made up for in spunk, and color.  Little 8-10 inchers who took the fly the same way a great white shark takes a seal.  With an efficiency that just oozes Darwinism.  Their confidence was surpassed only by their bright colors.

Gotta love "wild" (non hatchery) fish!

Numero Uno for 2012
The fly?  Well with a smirk on my face, and just a little bit of "Nana Nana Boo Boo", I'm happy to report that it was the little CDC fly that my wife called "BellyButton Lint" that did the trick.

Got Lint?
Now excuse me as I slip on down to the lab to work up some more Bellybutton lint because now that the season is open...it's game on.

See you on the water.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment