Forgive me for being direct...but.....

Ironically, while watching Sunday morning cartoons with my kiddos a commercial came on that actually prompted me to visit their website.  The cartoons are...well...dumb.  They are certainly not bugs bunny or Yosemite Sam....   But the message of this commercial was worth repeating.

This brings up two points for me.  (1) EVERY commercial prompts the viewer to go to some sort of website.  I rarely take my reading cues from television.  (2) It is certainly an ironic statement (if not somewhat sad) that my television prompted me to open up my computer to find a website that helps people get outdoors more.

Sad irony aside, I consistently have people admire my kids for being comfortable outside.  They know  how to get dirty.  They know how to explore.  They know how to catch fish, frogs, turtles and bugs.  They know how to have fun without a video game in front of their face.  I couldn't be more proud.

To answer the question that has been asked of me many times-- "How do you find such cool things to do with your kids?", I offer this:  Go outside.  (Yes...this means to go with them...and to go with an open mind...) Take a camera, but leave your phone at home or in your car.  Don't give in to their begging to do something "fun" or their whining that they are "bored".  Make them suffer in the fresh air.

Then sit back and let your kids mind EXPLODE with curiosity.  Answer the questions that you can, and then help them find the answers that you don't already know.

Warning: this isn't a lazy man's way of life.  Believe me when I say that there are plenty of times where I want nothing more than a soft pillow, quiet house, and a nap...  But the way I figure it is I have only a finite number of days before my kids grow up so much that they move on to new things...So do it now.

For more help, I would direct you to two places on the internet.  Read them, then shut your computer down and go outside.




      http://www.discovertheforest.org/








For more info on fishing specific...here's the link to an earlier post of mine about getting kids out fishing:   Kids and Flyfishing

And last but certainly not least...

GO OUTSIDE WITH THEM!  


YOU AREN'T SO BUSY THAT YOU CAN'T SPEND A FEW MINUTES TEACHING YOUR KIDS HOW TO HAVE FUN WITHOUT ELECTRONIC MEDIA.


REMEMBER--THEY WILL MODEL WHAT YOU DO, SO IF YOU WANT "OUTDOOR KIDS" THEN THE FIRST MOVE IS YOURS.  


MAKE THE CHANGE.


OK.  Stepping off of soap box now, thanks.

Til later,

-M


Popular Posts