Busy Busy Busy

Holy crap.  It's been nearly 2 weeks since my last post, and at that...the one from St. Patty's day was pretty weak.  Sorry.  Been busy.

Busy you ask?  Doing what?  Well, let me tell ya.  Mrs. MacLoosh was out of town on business for a while.  That left me home alone with two kids and a puppy.  For those that remember the last time this happened, these things rarely go smoothly.

Well, true to form, this go-around had its bumps too.

Let's start with the dog. Generally he is a good puppy.  However...he has his moments when I would trade him for a case of beer and a good sandwich.

Exhibit A:

Those who follow MacLoosh Chronicles on Facebook have already seen this, but just for fun...In this picture, he sorta bears slight resemblance to a certain friend and fellow blogger...
I think it's the goatee...but I just can't put my finger on who...  Any guesses?
Turns out, the dog digging up the yard was just the tipping point.  Things were really going pretty well up until that moment.  From there, we moved to the world of parenting.  I'll say this right up front:  Try as I might, I routinely wonder what it would be like to be a competent parent.

My daughter came down with a sudden onset of the stomach flu.  She also has a flare for the dramatic, so when she yaks in the middle of the night, she goes big.  I'll spare you a full description of the carnage--you're welcome.  I am, however, a sympathetic puker.  So as I responded (from a VERY sound sleep) to the cries of my sick daughter, not really knowing what was happening I opened the door to her room and was overtaken immediately by the smell.  Oh Yeah, you know the smell.  And she was COVERED in it.  Hair, clothes, hands...it was everywhere.

In a moment I am not really proud of, I slammed the door shut again, retreated to my room and wrapped a towel around my head.  I then swooped back into the room to help.  Picked her up and carried her as far from my body as my arms would reach, and set her down in the shower.  Told her to take her clothes off in the shower, then had her rinse herself while I collected myself.

Well...to a 6 year old who is sick and scared from being sick, seeing your dad barge into your room with a towel wrapped around his head like a crazed jihaddist soldier was apparently also unsettling for her.  Who knew?

After some scuttle, and a lot of scrambling (including a late night Google search on "How to clean up vomit with vomiting") I did manage to bring things back under control. Fortunately she doesn't seem to be showing outward signs of trauma from the events of the evening.

Chalk one up to the forgiving nature of children.  My only hope is that she doesn't remember this moment in time when I am old and relying on her to care for me.  (If she does...I'm screwed)

My son, thankfully, slept through all of it.  He too is a sympathetic puker, so the next morning as I was trying get him ready for school (and was in a relatively poor mood), he was unusually cooperative.  Never seen the kid so cooperative that early in the morning.

My daughter, has now run the full course of her flu symptoms including throwing up's ugly cohort in crime...the runs.  On the upside, I think a solid life lesson may have been learned about trying to squeeze off a fart when stomach issues are involved.

I am happy to say that once she felt well enough to leave the couch, she did help me work on some poppers and tied up a killer butterfly pattern of her own.

So. Serious.


Paint by Bean.  Owl Jones, eat your heart out
Once her mom got home from her trip and settled in, she gave me a much needed break. I made quick for the nearest stream.  Nothing resets a frazzled mind quite like a few precious minutes swinging for takers on a spring afternoon.  Well....rum works too....but I didn't have any Captain handy...

The fishing started off slow.  No obvious signs on the surface, and only a handful of half-assed swipes underneath the water but no fish to hand.  At that point where I was almost ready to pack it in, I moved out of the woods and into a meadow.  Just about ready to break my rod down, I noticed a couple of fish rising just on the outside seam of current.  These were the first risers I had seen since opening day so I was stoked!  (I truly love dry fly fishing...I will nymph for them...but only if I have to...)

Post haste, I dug out my dry fly box and started thumbing through for a #18 Griffiths Gnat.  Midges were all I had seen, so I figured that HAD to be the bite.  Turns out I was right.  (I am only good at "matching the hatch" when it is so obvious that even I couldn't screw it up...)

I managed to land both of the fish that I had seen, and another handful after that.  All small.  The big boys stayed home.  Shortly after that, I watched a couple of robins working the areas where the snow has melted.  And it was then that I realized, spring has sprung.

Thanks to an impromptu outing where my wife and daughter met up with their cousin at the mall to see the Easter Bunny, my boy and I were left with a brief opening later in the week to get out.  We decided that Black Earth Creek needed to be the destination for the day.  Field runoff was heavy, and we didn't think the fishing would be great, but we both decided that poor fishing would be better than not fishing.  Besides, On The Creek Flyshop would be nearby so at the very least, we could stop in and chat with Todd.

We were right, the stream was well on its way to blowing out...but it still didn't stop us from trying.

Despite not having lost a step on casting or line management, and excellent fly choice (San Juan Worm),
the high water proved unproductive
With the temps up, snowpack in full melt and rain in the forecast, looks like we will have to wait for a bit before conditions improve.  Oh well, better days ahead.  Right?

Til later, 

-M

Popular Posts