The Art of War

Sun Tzu was a freaking genius.  Seriously. For a literary work that dates back to the 2nd century BC, this cat had vision.  The kind of vision that reaches so far into today's world that it is almost creepy.

My paperback copy is worn, tattered, dog eared and generally beat to hell.  It is also never very far from me and almost always offers me a few, succinct words of clarity.

So this morning, as I drink my coffee and gather myself to get out on the stream for opening day, I also turn to this old classic to find a little extra inspiration and reassurance as I prepare to head out...quite rusty and probably a little over excited....



In chapter 1, "Laying Plans" (Lionel Giles translation  from 1910) Sun Tzu reminds me of a couple of basics. Here are parts of the section that have hit home form this morning:

"According as circumstances are favorable, one should modify one's plans"  

"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away"

"Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him"   (Don't get your panties in a ruffle...yes...I know it is artificial lures only during the early season...)

"If he is secure at all points, be prepared for him"

And finally..."Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected".


As a last bit of morning inspiration, here is the first fish from 2012.  I can only hope that 13' will be even better.


See you on the water,

-M

Popular Posts