Sunday, April 7, 2013

Lost and found

Every once in a while, something happens that just blows you away.  Big or small, these types of events tend to make me think that god has a weird sense of humor and is messing with me.  No worries, I'm not going to get all religified on you...but...I can't think of too many other reasons why these strange things in life happen.

Just exactly what am I jabbering about?

Well, rewind about 9-10 months.  I went out fishing, and came back missing a gadget from my bag.  This stuff happens.  In fact, I would bet that each and every one of us has lost at least one of those little trinkets that fill our sling packs or vest pockets.  In most cases, I would also bet that our fishing did not actually suffer from the loss of said treasure (assuming everyone else suffers from the same gadget addiction that I do...).

Further, I would continue to lay money on the table that says we have all found something while fishing that had no way of being returned to its rightful owner.  It is just one of those things that happens.  You pick it up, look around and think to yourself "well, I'll just hold on to it, and if I see anyone else~I will ask them if it belongs to them and give it back".  You fish, you might even ask a person or two, but there never seems to be anyone to re-take custody of this lost item.  Eventually, you go home-with an extra gadget.  You may even think to yourself "well, I am sure there are folks out there who have found my ______ so I guess this is just the cosmos way of balancing the score".

Then one Saturday in early April, you go fishing with a friend and your boy.  The three of you hit the stream for a nice leisurely morning of fishing.  Suddenly your son runs up and says "Dad!  I just found this over there".  Cool, you reply. Not really knowing and maybe not even caring what it is...but answering enthusiastically because you are happy he still brings his treasures to you.

You look down, and know immediately that this is something YOU lost.  Last year.


Immediately your mind starts to whir and buzz like an old steam engine.  What the hell?  Are you kidding me?  Your boy hands it to you, you inspect it and are floored.  This is, without mistake, the bottle of Gink and the holder that came off your bag last year.  You are 100% positive.  You excitedly start in on the story to your son, who is now super proud that he has returned something important to you.

The excitement settles down and you stuff it into your bag.  Fix it when you get home...right now there is fishing to be done.

The fishing is slow.  A hatch is coming..you can feel it, but you are there too early in the day because the schedules of life don't always fit nicely into the time of day when you really suspect that the bugs will come off.  A couple of half hearted takes and misses, but nothing to hand.  Those long distance releases can be hard on your nerves.

Then, out of the corner of your eye, you see something yellow on the ground and you pick it up.


You are now the proud owner of a little rubber duck from "Susie the Duck" days and rubber duck race--also from last summer.

Again, you look around and think to yourself, "OK...either god is trying to send me a message that I just don't understand", or "I am on candid camera-I just KNOW it".  Either way, you call your boy over.  This duck is going to fulfill its last official duty.  As a thank you for finding your Gink and carrier, you present him with a rubber duck as a way to say thanks for finding the Gink.  There in the middle of a pasture, I don't think a better gift could be given.....

Somehow, I think that Susie the Duck would be proud of this moment.  As for me, I am still left with an overwhelming feeling that a larger, much more important message, lesson, or karma is involved and it is a little bit unsettling.

Of course, had I caught fish today, I wouldn't have written about any of this. Neither would I be pondering bigger issues over a couple of likely coincidences..I would have just written it off as just a damn good day fishing.

Oh...and if this DOES happen to be your lost duck...please please please let me know.  My boy and I would LOVE to complete the circle on this one.

Til later,

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment