Signs of spring? Maybe.

Spring is springing.  I think.

We are officially over a month into the early catch and release season here in America's Dairyland, and I have been fishing when possible, but mother nature sure doesn't seem to be in any kind of hurry to fully commit to shedding the winter blues.

All the usual markers are there, but I'm still not feelin' those warm springtime fuzzies yet. As I look at the indicators, and try to trick my rational mind into accepting that consistently pleasant weather will (eventually) come, I just can't help but feel less than confident. The cold temps, rains and current short term weather forecasts for more of the same aren't offering much room for optimism either.

So, as I patiently await warmer weather and bright sunshine to help me shake this winter's case of seasonal effective disorder (eating St. John's Wort like Tic-Tacs just isn't enough these days...), I regularly recount those markers in an exercise of reassurance.  It's all I've got some days.

Since misery loves company, here are my top 5 signs that spring should be on the way:

1.  Cleaning out my truck, and preparing it for fishing season.  Out with the extra shovel, bottle of windshield washer fluid, and bag of sand.  In with my rod case, and tub for waders, boots, nets and all of the other accessories I think I might need at a moments notice.

Emergency preparedness.  Fisherman style.

A clean truck is a sign of a sick mind.
2.  Flies.  Gotta have more flies, so time at the vise working up a good supply of the staples is more urgent than ever.

BH Pheasant Tails.  Don't leave home without em'
3.  At least ONE upgrade in equipment.  My wife calls this "sneak buying" since I rarely "remember" to mention the purchase of said equipment until it is discovered.  But this is not without a back story...  She is heavily into couponing.  Not quite "extreme" couponing, but good enough at it to save considerable money on grocery purchase's.  So when my new Orvis BBS II fly reel arrived in the mail that I picked up for 50% off retail (A $70 savings..thank you very much)...and I tried desperately to explain that I too was into deal finding, she still didn't buy it.  I'm of the mind that this counts as couponing.  She is of the mindset that it was still "sneak buying".

True love is about working through and accepting our differences of opinion, so I will be sure to meditate on that while I am fishing.  :)

Ooh la la...Love, in the form of precision machined aluminum
4.  The amount of yard work that you suddenly realize the winter has done to the joint.  Jeesch.....  (No picture on this one-I am too embarrassed).  Who knew that such a small dog could generate sooooo much waste??

5. And finally, my annual battle with the most stubborn of god's creatures.  The robin.  I am a mixed bag of feelings on these guys...first of all, they just look arrogant.  Having said that, I am always glad to see them arrive because they truly are a sign of spring.  But...with spring comes nest making season and I apparently own some of the best nesting real estate in the area.  Currently up to a minimum of twice per day tearing this nest down before it goes too far along and an egg is laid.  I expect this to go on for another couple of weeks.

(And when he finally gives up on this location for the nest...he will perch on the mirror of my truck, shit down the door constantly and try to fight his own reflection in the window)

Stubborn, arrogant peckerhead
Nest + Halogen Lights= bad for bird and bad for MacLoosh
And finally, a bonus sign that I realized after starting to type this post...spring is the season that New Glarus Brewing Company starts making Totally Naked again.  Hells. Yeah.  If you've never tried it, this is pretty darn close to being the perfect beer.  Just sayin'.

...and...it is the perfect chaser for St. John's Wort
Til later,

-M

Comments

Popular Posts