Saturday, November 9, 2013

Scull Candy

Continuing on my streak in The Lab...I've been working up some big streamers lately.  I am not sick of tying them yet, but I am about out of Fish Sculls already.  

And I REALLY like these guys.



I suppose I can continue on making them with cone shaped beads, but I just don't think those would be quite as fun.

I suppose I could also just buy some more, but the truth is, in the world of fly tying supplies, these guys aren't inexpensive (and I AM cheap when it comes to tying materials, despite what Mrs. MacLoosh would tell you...).

So I guess I will just wait patiently, maybe work up a few more variations with the cones, then fish them hard when I finally get the opportunity (...approximately 4 months from now when the 14' trout season opens).  If one mix of materials or colors works better than another, then I will invest in more Fish Sculls and build an army of them.

To be sure, this is a crappy way to figure out if a pattern is good or not, but for now it is all I've got.

Til later,

-M



2 comments:

  1. Nice ties. I guess that's the conundrum when it comes to Fish Skullz...the price is not the friendliest...I'm sure you'll find your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man.

    Methinks Troutzilla with one of these bad boys hanging out of his kype would justify the price...

    ReplyDelete