Sunday, December 29, 2013

On messing with a legend...

When something works, common knowledge tells us not to tinker with it.  Right?  Well, generally I would agree, except that I *might* have gotten into a bottle of Jameson last night.

After a couple of Saturday evening cocktails (for no real celebratory reasons at all...other than it was Saturday and I could), I made my way down to the lab.  With whiskey, there is a VERY fine line between too much and just enough.

How do I figure out where I landed on the scale of indulgence?  Usually my wife lets me know, or...the pictures start appearing on Facebook and I shift into damage control mode.  However, this morning when I headed down to the lab with coffee in hand to review the evening's efforts, (A) I realized that I don't have a headache and (B) I also realized that the flies that I'd experimented on last night actually look good.

....like they might accidentally work (?!).

The Pink Squirrel (designed and made famous by John Bethke) is one of those flies that just works. I don't know why, because it doesn't look like anything I have ever seen swimming in the stream.  But not unlike one of those gawdy bass lures that draws strikes from largmouth for unknown reasons; the Pink Squirrel can entice a nice trout out of its dark hiding place-even when it is feeling stubborn.

Here is the original:

Photo: http://illinoiswisconsinfishing.blogspot.com/
And the variant:


Granted, the changes are subtle and not enough to call it an original MacLoosh fly so we will just call it what it is: a variant.  The main differences are green flash dubbing on the thorax instead of squirrel fir dub and pink scud dub instead of chenille on the collar. Everything else is essentially the same as Mr. Bethke's original recipe.

Considering the mix of colors and materials that I typically come up with when drinking and tying flies, I have high hopes for this one and think it might actually catch a fish or two.  Of course the proof will be in the pudding when it comes time to try it out, but this is one of those rare instances where I won't be afraid embarrassed to have tied one on.

Pun intended.

Til later,

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment