The irony of vermin

The end of the Wisconsin inland trout season and fall is classically a tough time for me.

Usually, when September rolls around, I find myself in a panic of sorts. I count the days left in the season and match them against my work and family schedule. Then I try to figure out when I can sneak out to the stream for a last ditch attempt at catching troutzilla.  Despite my efforts, it just never seems like there is enough time to fish all those streams I never got around to fishing earlier in the season, and I usually end the season feeling unsatisfied.

Except this year.  I won't say that I was glad to see the season close, but I will say that it didn't bother me the way it has in years past.  In fact, the entire season was a touch on the anti-climatic side of things, and that doesn't seem to be weighing too heavily on me either.

What does that mean?  What is the lesson there?  Or....is there one?  In yet another departure from my norm, the answers to those questions don't really seem to matter.  I've been busy.  It's that simple.  I'm old enough to recognize that some years are like that, and frankly, fishing is something that will ALWAYS play an important role in my life.

So...what have I been doing with my time?  Oh, you know....among other things, I have been mouse hunting.  I started a giant re-organization of my garage, complete with a purge of a whole pile of stuff that I had no idea I was still holding on to, and certainly didn't need.  In the midst of this project, a small colony of mice was discovered inside my garage.  By the looks of things, they weren't too deeply entrenched, and were just starting to get themselves settled in, so I set to the task of taking care of the infestation.

In classic MacLoosh form, it didn't go exactly as planned.  Please see exhibit A:


Yeah, yeah.  Don't judge my messy workbench...

After some technical difficulties, I did manage to thin the population considerably.  There may be one still milling about, but I am on his trail and will have everything buttoned up before long.  As for the garage project, I'm pretty satisfied with the end result.

The irony in all of this, is that after a spirited battle with the local vermin, I stumbled upon S.C.O.F's  Tommy Lynch's recent Fur and Feather Matinee, where he ties a kick ass mouse pattern.  It is also coincidental that when I did actually go fishing last season, my time was spent swinging big streamers, poppers, and mouse patterns.

Meaty flies are my latest obsession.

As if to offer proof that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, I set to the task of tying my own version of the white bellied mouse, and drew from my own recent experiences with the real McCoy when picking color.  Now, I have to wait for a very long time before I get to fish it...but I feel certain that when this baby hits the water...I'd better be holding on tight.


Perhaps most importantly, despite last season's lack-luster amount of time on the water, I am already getting stoked up for 2015.  It's gonna be good folks.  I can feel it.

Til later,

-M

Comments

Popular Posts